Monday, January 25, 2010

I love my low-maintenance horse

This is one of those random posts that have nothing to do with anything, except that it's what my stream of consciousness came up with, today.

Some horses are super-high-maintenance, with special food and supplements and shoeing needs, blah blah blah. Here are a handful of reasons why I love my low-maintenance beast...
  1. He hates mud. Which means he never, EVER rolls in the mud. If you'll recall, he's about 50% white, so this is a good. good. thing.
  2. No special feed. No low carb, no "ration balancers" (I don't even know what that is), no sensitive system, no magic potions to give him strong feet or shiny hair or bigger muscles or help his allergies (yes, horses get allergies, too). Grain, hay. Water. Done.
  3. He has GREAT feet. We tried putting shoes on him, he lost them in the pasture (don't ask how, I don't even know). We put special boots on to help stop this, he rips those off with his teeth. So we throw up our hands and let him run around barefoot, and everyone is happy.
  4. No blankets. Horse grows a TON of hair in the winter, so we only put a blanket on him if the weather is going to be VERY cold, or if there's icy rainy snow crap expected. Blankets are a plaything to him, and if he had to wear one all the time, my repair bills would be sky-high.
  5. I thought I had one more, but I can't think of it, so I guess that's it for the moment.
Twinks is really lucky he's got these things going for him, because 90% of the time he's such a wiseass, I wonder why I put up with him. Oh, it also helps that he's pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment