Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Project Progress!

It's so nice to see projects that you started 6 months prior, finally starting to come to fruition! You may recall this, my second Random Apples post ever, where I talked about my linen closet and decide on a big-boy bedspread for Josh. And this, a few weeks later, where I briefly showed you the disaster that was my kitchen catch-all counter.

6 months later, my linen closet STILL looks awesome (although I did have to go look up that youtube video to refresh my sheet-folding skills the other day), and as for the other two projects, well, let's take a look, shall we?

Kitchen counter

Looked like this
receipts, mail, tupperware, small appliances, toys, junk, an award from 2008(??), my three-hole punch(!?!), etc., etc., etc., all jammed together so that stuff was routinely falling on the floor or worse, into the trash.

Yesterday, I did this
ahhhhhhh.....blank slate...

And now it looks like this!

Things are still not quite as compartmentalized as I would like, but I cut our plastic storage by about half and only kept the ones that I know we use most often. And I've trained Brianna, whose responsibility it is to empty the dishwasher, to nest things neatly instead of just haphazardly stacking stuff every which way so that it all inevitably tips over and crashes to the floor. That pile to the right is stuff that needs to go back to Levi's mom, and a stack of lids with no bottoms (which I should pretend to throw away and see if it brings their better halves out of hiding...), and a collection of pens-pencils-markers that still needs to be thinned out, but at least they're contained. To the left is the blender, the charging cord for my phone, and our change jar. And that's it! Most exciting of all, I cleaned out the eleventy-billion* paper grocery bags that were taking over the under-counter space to the point that the trash can was living in the middle of the room (ick)! I know a lot of them are going to get used for the garage sale (yay!) but I'm also awaiting delivery of a second recycling bin that is ONLY going to be for storing grocery bags...and they are all going to stay in the garage. Woo hoo for organizational baby steps!!

*really. I counted.


Josh's Big Boy Bed

...is in!
I couldn't find my post about how I eventually snagged the pirates bedspread, so if this is repetition I'm sorry, but I snagged it on clearance from Sears.com for...wait for it...ELEVEN DOLLARS. (Yep, I definitely remember typing that before. Weird.) Anyway, it's absolutely precious and I'm so glad I went for the full instead of the twin size. Josh is going to flip when he gets home this afternoon and sees it!

1 comment: