Saturday, June 26, 2010

Brain Dead, a.k.a. job search update

Tuesday I had a meeting with Cindy; we spent the entire hour turning the list of my job responsibilities for the past 10 years into "resume speak." I was feeling pretty good about the changes, and thought I only had a few little bits left to finish up - the summary and technical skills sections, mainly.

That same afternoon, I was browsing the job postings on LinkedIn and found one that I was really interested in (and it's local, in case you're wondering). So instead of kicking back and waiting for next week's meeting with Cindy to put on the finishing touches, I've spent pretty much every spare minute of the last three days picking apart the job listing and inserting as many of the keywords as possible into the resume bullets I had already written (luckily for me, the listing was quite comprehensive).

If I had thought my resume was looking sharp before, it's freaking amazing now.

I was hoping to get that all done and a cover letter written in time to submit before the end of business on Friday, but alas, I didn't quite pull it off. So instead, I took advantage of the weekend to dive into a project that's been in the back of my mind, a little something I think of as "the whole package": I decided to whip up a basic "resume website" (www.fionapayne.info) and set up separate Facebook and Twitter accounts to associate with it. Oh, and I updated my LinkedIn profile with my new and improved resume info, of course.

I'm very pleased that everything is coming together as quickly as it has, and now all that I have left (on MY list, that is - I still have Cindy's "job search action plan" ahead of me) is to get Cindy to sign off on my resume, and to write my cover letter. I sent my new website live earlier this afternoon, and decided to completely put this process out of my mind for a couple hours (serendipitously, Levi's mom offered to take me and the kids to see Toy Story 3. For the record: it's awesome).

Tonight or tomorrow I HAVE TO compose my cover letter, as my goal is to have my resume waiting in that HR inbox first thing Monday morning.

Job searching is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment